Partner Wrix McIlvaine is an experienced advocate that has battled for justice in trial and appellate courts throughout Georgia for nearly two decades. He is a specialist in criminal defense and regularly takes on difficult and high profile criminal matters in State and Federal Courts. He is recognized as a Georgia Super Lawyer and is regularly named as one of the Top 100 trial lawyers in America and as a Top Ten Criminal Defense Attorney by the American Association of Attorney Advocates.
Wrix is a zealous defender of citizen rights and civil liberties under the United States Constitution and is one of the few attorneys in Southeast Georgia that takes on civil rights litigation under 42 U.S.C. § 1983. His trial and appellate practice also focuses on representing those who have been seriously injured by medical malpractice, police misconduct, governmental abuse and corporate malfeasance.
As strong believer in the right to counsel for indigent and underprivileged communities, he is a former supervising trial attorney for the Georgia Public Defender Standards Council and a longstanding member of the Criminal Justice Act panel for the Southern District of Georgia. He also served as a conflict panel attorney in counties throughout southeast Georgia for over a decade and has volunteered for Georgia Legal Services and Georgia Lawyers for the Arts.
Wrix is a 2002 graduate of the University of Delaware (journalism), earned his Juris Doctor at Thomas Jefferson School of Law (cum laude) 2005, and is a graduate of the Munich Intellectual Property Law Center earning his Master of Laws degree from the University of Augsburg and George Washington University in 2006.
He is a member of the Brunswick Exchange Club, Saint Mark’s Episcopal Church and serves as a Committee Member and Den Leader in scouting.
Areas of Practice
- 50% Criminal Defense
- 10% Civil Rights
- 10% Personal Injury
- 10% Family Law
- 10% Bankruptcy
- 10% Intellectual Property
- 100% of Practice Devoted to Litigation
- Georgia, 2006
- Thomas Jefferson School of Law, San Diego, California
- Juris Doctor cum laude – 2005
- Universitat Augsburg Juristischer Fachbereich, Augsburg, Germany
- Master of Laws
- Major: Intellectual Property
- Max Planck Institute for Foreign and International Law, Hamburg, Germany
- University of Delaware, Newark, Delaware
- Major: Journalism
- Brabant v. Patton, 321 Ga. App 37 (2013), Georgia Court of Appeals
- Simmons v. United States, No. CV613-112, 2015 U.S. Dist. LEXIS 157734,2015 U.S. Dist. Lexis 45557 (S.D. Ga., 2015), Southern District of Georgia
- Sheppard v. Pierce Cty., 631 F. App’x 718 (11th Cir. 2015), 11th Circuit Court of Appeals
- Sheppard v. City of Blackshear, 2015 U.S. Dist. Lexis 7362 (S.D. Ga., 2015), Southern District of Georgia
Honors and Awards
- Recognized as one of the Top 40 Trial Lawyers Under 40 by the National Trial Lawyers
- Rising Star by Georgia Super Lawyer magazine in 2014, 2015 and 2016
- National Trial Lawyers Top 100 Trial Lawyers
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Georgia Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers (GACDL)
- Glynn County Bar Association
Past Employment Positions
- McIlvaine Law Group, Managing Partner, 2009 – 2016
- Georgia Public Defender Standards Council, Supervising Trial Attorney, 2006 – 2009
Pro Bono Activities
- Georgia Lawyers for the Arts
- Georgia Legal Services
- Sigma Chi