In general, if you are a U.S. citizen, you are permitted to obtain a passport, allowing you to travel to other countries. However, getting a U.S. passport is a privilege, not a right, and the government may refuse you for various reasons. Unpaid child support or taxes could be one of them, as could a youngster who does not have parental authority to carry travel documents.

A passport is available to most convicts and ex-felons. Even if you obtain your passport, this does not guarantee that you will be able to travel wherever you like. 

Several countries refuse to let convicted criminals cross their borders for public safety and political considerations. Some countries that don’t allow felons to enter include Australia, China, and India.

As a result, if your name appears on the criminal registry, you may have difficulty acquiring a visa in some countries. When planning a trip abroad, review the list of countries that do not allow felons to pass their borders, as well as the list of nations that are felon-friendly.

Obtaining a U.S. Passport With a Felony

It may be difficult if you have been convicted of international drug trafficking or distribution of narcotics or prohibited substances.

Felony drug offenses are a significant roadblock to obtaining a passport. These two sorts of infractions will almost certainly result in the rejection of your passport application.

You would be disqualified for a passport if you crossed an international border while trafficking drugs and were arrested and sentenced for it. However, a conviction for possession of a controlled substance cannot be used to justify denial.

As you can see, a felony record does not automatically exclude someone from applying for a passport in the United States. Only certain drug offenses, as listed above, may result in your application being refused. 

If you’re a convicted felon who wants to travel abroad, make sure you don’t have any criminal records related to international drug trafficking or controlled substance distribution. If you don’t have your travel documents yet, you can apply for them.

Please call us toll free at 866-214-7036 or fill out the contact form on our website. Serving Brunswick, GA and Glynn, Camden, Brantley, Wayne, Ware and McIntosh Counties.