Not everyone drives a vehicle in order to navigate their cities and towns. There are plenty of people who rely on their bicycle, or they simply walk, as their primary mode of transportation. Even though they may not be in a car, there is still a possibility of an accident happening that can lead to medical bills, lost wages, and other expenses.

When two vehicles are involved in a collision, it can be easy to determine fault and who covers the compensation. Things are not as clear-cut when an accident involves a cyclist or a pedestrian. It can be especially difficult to understand which, if any, insurance policies cover the incident. 

If You are Hit by a Driver

A person out walking or riding a bike that is wrongfully hit by a vehicle driver can be eligible for compensation for medical bills incurred due to injuries or damages to personal property. The driver’s auto insurance may be responsible for the damages, as the policy covers bodily injury and property damages.

If the driver was not at fault or didn’t have insurance, then the coverage will need to come from another insurance policy. For instance, if the driver was using a company vehicle or “on the clock”, then the employer may be responsible for the damages under a Georgia principle known as “vicarious liability.” For this reason, companies often carry commercial general liability policies which could cover the damages if an employee hits a pedestrian or biker.  

The person who is hit may find that their own insurance will cover the accident. Uninsured motorist or underinsured motorist coverage often covers accidents while walking or biking. In some cases, a cyclist can be covered by their homeowner’s insurance policy. This is especially true for the costs of damages to the bicycle or other property. 

We Can Help

If you have recently been hit by a motorist while walking or riding your bike, it can help to have legal counsel on your side. Contact Williams Litigation Group to discuss the details of your accident and determine whether legal representation is needed. We are here to help.

Please call us toll free at 866-214-7036 or fill out the contact form on our website. Serving Brunswick, GA and Glynn, Camden, Brantley, Wayne, Ware and McIntosh Counties.